Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Ó Ríordáin welcomes €10 million flood relief fund

“I greatly welcome the €10 million flood relief fund announced today by the Government which will aid those homeowners affected by the recent flooding. The fund will be of most comfort for those families left without house insurance since the last major flooding problems of July 2009.

“I have been campaigning on this issue for many years and I know too well the enormous hardship that so many homeowners and small businesses have experienced because of flooding.

“I also wish to point out that this new fund has come about because the Labour Party are in Government. I want to thank the Minister for Social Protection Joan Burton for listening to the concerns of residents, particularly in areas in my own constituency like Donnycarney and Artane.

“I will continue to work hard on this issue and I also plan to continue to push for a comprehensive flood defence programme to be initiated, which is ultimately the end goal.”