Monday, November 07, 2011

Clontarf Flood Barrier Update




Dear Clontarf Residents,

As you may be aware, Dublin City Council have revised their plan for flood defences in Clontarf and my colleague Cllr Jane Horgan Jones may have already contacted you with an update on the flood defences issue.

The following is a summary of the situation as we see it:

- The original plan cannot and will not go ahead. It was the result of a consultation process that we exposed to have been completely unacceptable and deeply flawed.


- My demand that the consultation process be declared null and void has already been made on the floor of Dáil Éireann and is still being pursued.

- Continued efforts are being made to ensure funds are ring fenced so decisions can be taken without artificial time pressures.


- The new plan as presented is still not acceptable to me or to Cllr Jane Horgan-Jones

The new plan will be on display in four separate information sessions, to be held in St. Anthony’s from 7-9pm on the 16th, 17th, 21st and 23rd November. I understand that the information will include detailed visual representations of what is proposed.

I would urge you to go and view the new plans and we will be there personally for the duration of each session to take your reaction to them.

I will meet as many people as possible at the information sessions to listen to the response of the community to the revised plans.

I can also be contacted by phone or email at any time. I look forward to hearing from many of you soon.

For your information, I am also including the interim report on the Clontarf Flood Defences that will be given by Council officials to the full City Council meeting tomorrow evening (Monday). The meeting starts at 18:45 and can be viewed live online by webcast at the following link.

http://www.dublincity.public-i.tv/core/#webcast

I have secured a written commitment from the City Manager that no further steps will be taken in advance of full consideration of the proposal at the December City Council meeting.

Please be assured of my continued support for the community on this issue.

Aodhán.